Thursday 17 September 2015

The Strain Season Two: The Silver Angel

Eph ad Nora check the results of their experiments meanwhile Abraham and Dutch try to recruit Reggie to their cause and Gus runs into a retired luchador wrestler and movie star.

You know when I first watching this I didn't know what the hell was going on because it began with a cheesy look at an old vampire film, then of course it made sense later lol. I got to give this opening high marks because it was really creative and I was not expecting it at all, plus I am a massive fan of old black and white monster films and I watch them all the time (for example a few nights ago I watched Gorgo and Quatermass). As for the rest of Gus's subplot it did feel a bit slow and aimless; we don't see what happened to the Vaun and I don't know how much Angel is going to help with the vampires, however I really liked his confrontation with the Master who was speaking through his mother. A subplot I really liked though was with Eph and Nora and the fact that their hard work at making a virus has paid off with the Master ordering the infected to suicide themselves, it's satisfying to know how much of a danger the virus is. Eph also wants to take this to Washington where the virus can be used as a weapon though Nora is having her doubts, from what I learned from TV and film if someone has doubts about something they made it is going to eventually backfire on them (maybe the virus will target humans?). Besides that Eph also got some time with Zach again but this time it was ok; their bonding is nice and it was an emotional Flashback where Zach imagines his mom with the bating cages with them.

As for everything else I am glad that Reggie may be involved with the story more soon when he got a visit from Abraham and Dutch even though his subplot is going a bit slowing too but the Flashbacks was the highlight. Besides from some cool vampire killing action with a sword I am liking this team up of young Abraham and Palmer, shame it seems to be over now but its interesting that they used to be vampire - hunting partners and kind of friends. Then there was a Eichorst who told the young Palmer something that made him switch sides, like with Abraham and Palmer it was a surprise those two have known each other for longer than I thought. In the present however Palmer is once again causing chaos as he gets all of the finical leaders in New York killed which made for a really awesome news report scene. Finally there is Fet who was captured by the security forces who are locking down certain areas and while I like them and wanted to see more of them trying to maintain order (like what they did with Staten island) I'm not sure I going to like this subplot of Fet captured by them.

Overall while a bit slow it is an improved over last week's episode and with the scene with Kelly at the end I hope she gets more involved soon.

SCORE: 7/10

Highlights: The opening
                   Eph and Nora's experiment results
                   Flashbacks

Let - Downs: Slow pacing with some of the storylines
                      Fet being captured at the end

No comments:

Post a Comment