Wednesday 2 September 2015

Falling Skies Season Five: Reborn

The final battle between the 2nd Mass and the Espheni begins in DC as the fate of the whole Human Race is on the line.

Wow I can't believe that this is not just a finale but the last Falling Skies on TV, this has been on for five years and I have enjoyed it and it is going to be difficult knowing there is no new season. As for this finale it was satisfying way to end the story and I will first go into the good points. Firstly all the of action; the attack of the Flying Skitters, the assault on Washington and the creepy moments we had with the eggs where really well done, the best parts of the episode. I also really enjoyed the seeing the Queen and I just loved her design so much it is a shame it was saved just for the finale, plus I liked that she could talk because Espenhi talking was one of the best parts of Season Four. What was weird though is that they talk about the Queen's daughter being killed on Earth before but they didn't go into as much detail as I thought, how did primitives beat the Eshpeni? But still Tom vs. the Queen overall was an exciting moment and the moment when Tom used the magic bullet while being sucked of blood was really awesome. Another great moment was the epilogue at the end with the time skip; I love these at the end of a story in any form (TV, film, books, games) because I like seeing a glimpse at what the characters are doing after everything they have been through.

As for everything else I knew that Pope was going to survive last episode but it didn't seem to matter because he dies in this one anyway! I am not going to hate on this as much as I would have (his death was done well and he settled some of his differences with Tom) but I wished the whole scene didn't feel squeezed into the episode and wish we had more time with Pope. I still wish Pope survived as a hero to fight in the final battle and not die a villain, R.I.P John Pope, you where one of my favourite fictional characters. However the stupidest thing in this episode, which I just shook my head at when I saw, was Anne's revival at the very end, talk about all of the Masons surviving this war unscratched! It was one of the silliest things I every saw I must admit; her death was supposed to have this huge emotional impact but it was almost like the writers thought "screw it we'll bring her back in the end". I mean Anne is a good character but I think that could have been a good way for her to go and her being pregnant felt like was added as an afterthought. Finally another stupid thing was Hal asking Maggie to marry him which just felt so forced and out of place, I thought the last few episodes indicated that they had gotten over each other (I mean Hal looked like he was with Isabella?) and they kind of mention it several times.

Overall despite some small issues the finale was really good and I am glad the story ended on a really happy and positive note. I am going to miss this show and I kind of wish they would do spin off or at least make some comics or novels based on this but the ending was so final so I guess that won't be happening.

SCORE: 7/10

Highlights: The action scenes/the moments in the tunnel
                   Tom vs. the Queen
                   The epilogue

Let - Downs: Pope's death and his short appearance felt squeezed into the episode
                      Anne's revival was so bloody stupid!
                      Hal proposing to Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment