Wednesday 22 July 2015

Falling Skies Season Five: Pope Breaks Bad

Pope, finally having enough of Tom, rebels and recruits other to his cause meanwhile the 2nd Mass go on a mission for fuel and Cochise shares news with Anne.
 
It seems like Pope and Tom are now enemies and I don't know how they are ever going to come back from this. I admit I'm not sure how much I am going to like this subplot because I really thought the whole Pope and Tom where enemies was finished after Season Two and they became sort of friends in my opinion. Plus Pope went through so much development through all of these seasons but it is almost like they have thrown that out of the window just to make him the antagonist in this season and it is mostly Tom's fault. His more aggressive stance was good at first but abandoning Sara really did take it too far in my opinion and while Tom can try to justify his decision it was still a d**k move for him. Also I am not really liking the arguments he is having with Pope either because again Tom can try and justify his choices but in the end his whole "Greater Good" view would not apply if it is one of his children in trouble. You know it is almost as if the writers have been listening to me because Pope brings up the good point; nothing bad happens to the Masons or those closest to them (there was Lexi but I hate Tom and Anne defending her all the time because she was a monster who deserved it). It is because of this that I really don't think Hal is going to die because the writers haven't had the balls to kill him off before (Season Three would have been the perfect time) and it is most likely going to be a secondary character or Pope. I would hate it is it was Pope because as I have argued before he is a major character who deserved to make it until the end. We would probably get some good action scenes out of this but in the end Tom is going to be so wrong about all of this.
 
As for the rest of the episode the subplot with Cochise and Anne was really, really good and the best part about the episode. We honestly do not get enough of the Volm in Falling Skies, I mean how long has it been since they have had a good portion of the episode dedicated to them like this? We got to see more of the relationship between Cochise and his father and more about the Volm's views on things. Anne also shined in this subplot because I really prefer her as the supportive doctor and not what she became in Season Four. The surgery was a great scene and I liked the whole silence moment between Cochise and Anne afterwards; while I never liked Lexi I liked this moment of closure Anne had with her death. Another part of the episode that was great was the mission at the police station because those flies are really cool and gave us another really gruesome death. We also got to hear from another person in the world in the radio and it was a nice break for Weaver going crazy over that car lol. Finally I do like what is going on with Anthony because it is something different for his character to deal with plus I guess Pope's rebellion will be easier to take if another main character is with him. I got to admit with the way Tom and the Masons have been recently I would most likely join up with Pope as well.
 
Overall I really don't like that Pope if being set up as the antagonist and could possibly die when all of the rest of the main cast is still alive and kicking. I just want to say that I still really like the main cast but it just annoys me how they are kept around after everything they have been through and if this show is supposed to be about a serious alien war then the Mason family should have had some losses (again Lexi does not count).    
 
SCORE: 6/10
 
Highlights: Anne's subplot with Cochise
                   The mission to the police station
 
Let - Downs: Pope rebelling
                      Tom is kind of annoying now with his change of character
                      It is obvious that Hal is going to be just fine

No comments:

Post a Comment