Wednesday 1 July 2015

Falling Skies Season Five: Find Your Warrior

Tom returns to Earth after his brief encounter with a new race of aliens however he soOn starts to display more rage and aggressive tactics against the Espheni.

Falling Skies is back for it's final season, which is a shame because I think it could go longer even if they use a spin off, and this episode started strong. I picks up immediately after the finale of Season Four and even though the encounter with the new aliens was shorter than I thought it would be I liked the lasting effect it had on Tom. It was almost like they made him into a sleeper agent; the way he repeated certain phrases and how he knew he had to go to the highschool. It was also thanks to the new Warrior Tom (lol) that we got some really cool action scenes like when Tom's group was surrounded in the woods or the assault on the highschool. The highschool part in particular was awesome because I liked the dark atmosphere and the best moment of the episode came from when Tom shot the Overlord in the head. These actions make me think that the new aliens aren't friendly and they want Tom to do their dirty work for them so I hope the finale season has room to give us enough information about them. Now as for the other alien races it is always great to see the Volm and I liked how they helped a lot during the fights and their info about more Militia makes me hopeful we will get some massive battle near the end. As for the Espheni it is good that even in Season Five we still learn more abut them like the Feral Skitters.

Since the episode was mainly focused on Tom there isn't too much else to say; I always like seeing Pope however briefly since he is my favourite fictional character and I'm sure he will get more focus soon. Sara had her own moment with shooting the explosives and it looks like Anthony will tap into his inner rage more with the death of Denny. What I didn't like about this episode was the love triangle that still exists between Ben, Hal and Maggie because I just freaking hated it last season and thought it was a waste of time. Hal just acts like a damn brat and Maggie is not helping; sure she says she can't control her emotions but like she said to Hal she isn't doing anything against them. Also I am still not liking Anne, really wish she was still a doctor, I mean what was all that whispering nonsense when she was stabbing the Skitter? Finally I just want to point out that I am glad Lexi is not coming back because while she was alright I think they just messed up her story last season, I found it to be a boring arc and I never liked any of the stuff she did.     

Overall great start to the final season, not much really letting it down and it ended on a cliffhanger with that weird fly attacking Tom.

SCORE: 8/10

Highlights: Warrior Tom is a freshening change for the character
                   Great action sequences
                   Enjoyed all scenes with the Volm, Espheni and the new aliens

Let - Downs: The stupid love triangle returns
                       Anne still bothers me

No comments:

Post a Comment