Monday 18 May 2015

Arrow Season Three: Best and Worst

Just as the title says I am going to make a list of what I think was great this season and what wasn't so great so enjoy! SPOILERS!!

Best

Ray Palmer: Straight away I got to mention Ray because he was always a constant bright spot in every episode he was in. Brandon Roth was just such a great choice for him and his ATOM suit is just freaking amazing when it is on screen. I think he was a better match for Felicity than Oliver, I liked his journey to becoming a hero and he defiantly deserves to be the main lead in Legends of Tomorrow.

Laurel as Black Canary: Hated her throughout Season Two but damn did they sure make up for it this season. I think her costume for Black Canary was way better than Sara's, she has the awesome Canary Cry thanks to Cisco and like Ray I like her development in becoming a hero. They didn't rush it and made her a badass straight away they gave her training with Wildcat and Nyssa and showed that she was just a beginner at the start.

The Secret Origins of Felicity Smoak: Felicity just has been the worst for the later half of this season but her origin episode was great and one we needed. 

Wildcat: So underused this whole season but what we did see of him was great and he was an awesome first trainer for Laurel.

The Crossover: Just like on The Flash the crossover on Arrow was just so perfect! They have just got to do a crossover at least once or twice every season because I just love Team Arrow and Team Flash working together.

Captain Boomerang: So far one of the best comic characters adapted to live action and I am glad it was my favourite Suicide Squad member. Had some epic fight scenes with Arrow and Flash, his boomerang weapons where done so well and great casting. I really, really, really, hope we see more of him in Season Four!!!

Arsenal: Despite taking a bit of a back seat this season I enjoyed seeing Roy in his full costume and he had some awesome action sequences during the Brick Arc and his departure was done really well.

The Brick Arc: Vinnie Jones as Brick is now one of the most memorable Arrow villains because of his dominating presence as Brick and he gave us an epic three episode arc that gave the secondary characters time to shine.

Ra's Al Ghul: Another great casting and despite being mainly a Batman villain they have worked Ra's and the League into the Arrow universe where he really fits in. We also got to finally see the Lazarus Pit in live action which opens the doors to the possibility of more magic/supernatural in Arrow.

Return of Deathstroke: DEATHSTROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maseo and Tatsu: I didn't like the Flashbacks but these two characters where way better in the present timeline such as Maseo in the League, Tatsu as Katana and their final duel.

Episodes 1 -13: Though there are some gems in the latter half of Season Three like "The Return" and "Broken Arrow" I think the first thirteen episodes where the best. I think this because the League became more heavily involved and some of their plotlines where slow and Quentin going crazy against Arrow was just something I didn't like because he went back to being a jerk.

All the villains: I know I already mentioned some above but all the other villains have just been so great this season. Komodo, Count Vertigo, Murmur and Deathbolt (think that's the rest of them) where all awesome and I hope they return in Season Four.

Tommy: It's always great when they find a way to bring back Tommy even if it is just for a bit in Flashbacks.


Worst

Corto Maltese: Didn't like this episode because it was all just spent trying to convince Thea to come home and it was a bit boring for the most part, even Diggle's ARGUS mission wasn't that interesting.

Malcolm drugged Thea to kill Sara: After spending an entire episode with Oliver defending Malcolm's innocence for Sara's murder they had to reveal that it was him all along. I think it would have been better if it was an original character or Damien Darke and HIVE.

The Flashbacks: They did give us some great action scenes but they just weren't as exciting as the previous Season's.

Quentin now against Arrow: Hated that Quentin had to turn against Arrow because he was such a good ally throughout Season Two and the first half of this season; some say he may have been too much like Jim Gordon but I don't care I liked it. What really bothers me is that he is against Arrow because his anger is driving him over Sara's death; it was good for one episode but more than that was just too much and he went back to being a complete jerk to everyone like in Season One.

Felicity: She was great in the first half of Season Three but her being with Oliver was just not the right way to go with her if the writers wanted to do more with her character. After Oliver was "killed" by Ra's I don't think there was an episode afterwards when she didn't cry and she was just such a downer when I used to look forward to her scenes.

ALPHA/OMEGA in the present: I'm glad it doesn't have much of a presence throughout the whole season like Mirakuru but it still felt like they did the same thing by bringing it into the present. I know this is a way to connect the Flashbacks and present scenarios but in my opinion the big danger for the finale could have been original.

Thea: A character who the writers have messed up ever since she was introduced and they still have barely improved her. She has been such a whiny and annoying brat that I just hate it when the focus is on her and it bothers me that she constantly has to hate someone all season; Season One it was Oliver/Moira, Season Two it was Moira and now Season Three it was Malcolm. I know Malcolm drugged her to kill Sara but I didn't like that she could just turn on him so easily and keep insulting him when I'm sure Malcolm can just kill her with ease. The most annoying thing however was that they built up her character so much with training but the second she is brought back into the story she just opens her club again like in the previous season. I hate that so much time is invested into her character when it could have gone to others because the only time she really shined was the finale and I think the wait was too long.

The Suicide Squad mission: I liked that we got to see Cupid and Deadshot again but their mission was so plain that I didn't see the point of the squad being called in; they are called the Suicide Squad because they are sent in on mission the normal military can't do and with a low rate of survival. For example I'm rereading my New 52 comics and the first squad mission is to take out a stadium full of zombies! At the very least let them fight Meta Humans in live action.

There you have it just a few standout moments from this season I wanted to mentioned though I am sure I have missed some. I might soon write a list of what I want to see in Season Four based on my opinion and what has already been established in the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment