Thursday 1 October 2015

The Strain Season Two: Identity

Eph begins to make contacts in Washington to get his bio - weapon ready meanwhile back in NY Gus helps out Angel when they encounter a vampire and Zach and Nora are confronted by Kelly.

The Strain continues with anther strong episode and I'll talk first about Eph's mission in Washington. Like I said about last episode I am liking this plot because it gives s something different in a new location and it also gave us two new characters; John and Lee. It was nice actually seeing that Eph's plan was being taken seriously by those two and that it looks like he would succeed and I admit I thought one of them was going to betray him, so it was a shock when they both ended up dead. I give Strain props because this was done really well; these two characters where built up really good (John being an old friend and Eph was getting close to Lee) that I felt really sorry when those two, who where just introduced, where mercilessly gunned down so the show did a good job of making me care for them. We also see how much influence Stoneheart has even outside of NY and I think that if Eph doesn't stay in Washington he will go back to NY in a revenge rage to get back at Palmer. Speaking of the bad guys the Master switches to a new body and while it isn't as imposing as his old one I'm glad Bolivar is getting a larger role than I thought (wish he kept the wig though). It was a cool scene; seeing Eichorst bowing down ready to accept being a host only for it to be Bolivar, I guess this will humble him a bit after all of his gloating.

As for everything else it is good to still see Gus hang out with the family at the restaurant and since he saved them from a vampire maybe they will trust him a bit more. I like the interaction between them with Gus being a bit of a fanboy over Angel's old films yet Angel himself just wants to forget them, I hope they continue to team up more in future fights. Another great moment was that Kelly finally tracked down her son with the Feelers which lead to a really intense chase through a church and I got to say it is good seeing Nora take more of an active role in the action this week. I am also liking the Feelers because it gives the good guys something new and different to fight because they have become used to normal vampires now, makes me hope we will get new types soon. However a real let down from this plot was the death of Fitzwilliams because he barely got a chance to do anything; unlike John and Lee who had there moment wrapped up in one episode I felt Fitzwilliams was built up for something more, something to last for the rest of the season at least and I really thought he would confront Palmer. Finally it is good to see more of that mysterious vampire Quinlan from last episode and I was right that he works for the Ancients but obviously has no trouble speaking his mind to them. Since he wants human allies I guess he might work with Abraham soon but I am curious about that woman who already works for him, hopefully we'll know more about her soon.

Overall another really strong episode but a major let down was the death of Fitzwilliams because we had no pay off from his character arc in Season Two.

SCORE: 8/10

Highlights: Eph's time in Washington and brutal deaths of his friends
                   Gus and Angel team up
                   Nora and Zach confronted by Kelly
                   Interesting developments from both vampire teams

Let - Downs: Fitzwilliam's seemingly pointless death after so much build up     

No comments:

Post a Comment