Thursday 22 October 2015

Arrow Season Four: The Candidate

"Your methods are too sick even for me Anarky"
An old friend of the Queen Family, Jessica Danforth (Jeri Ryan), announces she is running for mayor which worries Oliver and Thea especially with new villain Lonnie Machin AKA Anarky on the loose meanwhile Felicity gets help from employee Curtis Holt (Echo Kellum).

This new season of Arrow continues to stay really strong and still has a better start than the Flash in my opinion. I shall start off with the debut of a major DC villain and that is Anarky and I got to say that I was really, really impressed with him. I liked that Lonnie isn't Anarky yet, he is just a smart yet extremely sadistic person, but this is his origins of how he becomes Anarky. He had such a great screen presence like when he broke the finger of that girl (kind of cringe worthy that was lol) and he had a truly awesome fight against Green Arrow; him swinging his electric baton and deflecting arrows had me on the edge of my seat. His escape at the end was really dark (painting his symbol in blood) and I hope he continues to develop strongly as a new villain. Another great part of the Anarky subplot was Jessica Danforth and she did a really great job in the role and was woven in so nicely with the Queen Family that I really believe she has been an old friend of the family. It is a shame however that she is withdrawing from being mayor because I this means Oliver is going to run for it and while I know that is a major plot line in the comics I didn't want to see it in the TV series. I mean how is he supposed to be Green Arrow when he is always in the spotlight? However his Flashbacks where a lot more interesting this episode and I am curious to see what Baron Reiter (Jimmy Akingbola) plans are and how far Oliver has to go in his army.

They finally decided to get rid of the wig in the Flashbacks
As for everything else this was also a great introduction for Curtis, who comic fans know as the hero Mr Terrific, and he worked really well with Felicity. You know I have read comments of people hating that he is gay because he isn't in the comics but all I have to say is who cares that he is? At least there won't be any weird romantic subplot between him and Felicity. As for Felcitiy this subplot with her being head of Palmer technologies definitely gives her more to work with than just being the computer support of Team Arrow. Quentin continues to be a stronger character because again he is against Team Arrow but basically leaves them alone and he is at least civil with Oliver in public. Then there was his meeting with Damien which was really intense with the threats from Damien; again praise to his actor for being so great as the villain and for his scenes with Quentin and Anarky. Finally Thea's subplot was handled a lot better this episode where we finally get to see some proper side affects of the Lazarus Pit and I completely forgot that she, Laurel and the rest of Team Arrow where never really told about the Pit. Laurel digging up Sara at the end was quite the shock but mostly for that they did it so soon, I knew she was coming back because of Legends of Tomorrow.

Now that is one way to grab everyone's attention!
Overall a really great episode and origin for a really great DC villain and the introduction of Curtis Holt.

SCORE: 9/10

Highlights: Debut of Anarky and Jessica
                   Curtis and Felicity team up
                   Better Thea subplot and Flashbacks
                   Damien and Quentin where still great

 Let - Downs: Oliver running for mayor

The great screenshots of these episodes where provided by the great site Screencapped. You can look for yourself from the link below;
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment