Wednesday 14 October 2015

The Flash Season Two: The Man Who Saved Central City

Strength vs. Speed
It has been six months since Barry closed the wormhole above Central City and has been hailed as a hero however new Meta Human Atom Smasher (Edge) arrives to wreck havoc.

You don't know how much I have been looking forward to the new season of Flash and how hard it was to avoid spoilers on the internet because the Americans get it a week before us! Anyway about the episode it really drew me in straight away with the cameos of Captain Cold and Heatwave; it was almost like a page out of a comic of the Flash battling those two foes but then it turned out to be a dream - like sequence. What surprised me was that the show jumped six months later and we don't see the aftermath of the damage the wormhole did (except in small Flashbacks). I actually really liked this decision because it skipped over a lot of unnecessary stuff like Iris and Caitlin moaning over Eddie and Ronnie; I mean they are of course still grieving but at least we don't have to go through some sort of depression that can just be a drag. As for the characters themselves this episode I liked that Barry was trying to do everything solo after being in a team all last season; it was almost like a dark tone they would have on Arrow of Barry blaming himself for the death of his friends but managing to overcome it. However if I am honest to me Barry took a backseat to episode compared to the good development we got from the secondary characters. Like Iris who actually was really helpful and supportive of Barry, trying to snap him out of his depression, than just the character whose about the relationships. Then there is the really great duo of Joe and Cisco who had a funny team up near the end of last season (uncovering Wells identity) and seem to be continuing that with Cisco helping the police. Then there is Stein who seems to have taken over the role Wells left behind as the kind of mentor/genius character and I loved the scene where he thought of the name Atom Smasher. Finally there is Caitlin and I liked how she is in a similar state kind of like Barry where she tried to distant herself from everyone then overcame it but I seriously doubt Ronnie is dead and probably ended up in Earth 2.

Can't wait to see these two return to fight the Flash
As for everything else the video message from Eobard was a surprise as well as the fact that he confessed to the murder of Nora. Now from what I know of Eobard from the comics he isn't doing this because he cared, no I my opinion he is like "I'm dead anyway so.....f**k it" lol. However the release of Henry was just handled so poorly because maybe they did this because the actor has other commitments and can't hang around for much put his excuse for leaving was so stupid, especially after everything Barry went through to free him. Then there is the debut of Atom Smasher and I always like seeing new Meta Humans on Flash and I think Edge did a really good job, I loved the action scenes and he had a kickass costume! Even the effects of him growing where really good for a TV show. However I just wish the character himself was developed a bit more because it felt like he was a one off villain; he is there just to fight the Flash because Zoom told him, that's all we know of him. Plus I really hope he isn't dead because I like Atom Smasher from the comics and his family plays a big role as well with the Justice Society of America. Finally the ending with Jay Garrick (Teddy Sears) was awesome (and funny with them talking about security lol) and I am so looking forward to him working with Team Flash. In the comics he acts as a sort of mentor to Barry Allen because he has been the Flash for way longer and while he is younger in the show I can still see that happening, plus I can't wait for him to reveal more of his backstory and what Earth 2 is like.

"What where you saying Cisco about better security?"
Overall a highly enjoyable episode though probably not as mind-blowing as I thought a first episode of a season should be I think that is because there probably saving it for when Zoom gets properly introduced and like I said in my opinion it is also because the secondary characters got way more spotlight than Barry. Also thought I'd say that I will go over my thoughts on who Zoom is when we get an episode where he gets a lot of screen time, like when I did it for Reverse Flash when he fought Barry for the first time.

SCORE: 7/10

Highlights: Strong performances from the returning cast especially from the secondary characters
                   Debut of Atom Smasher
                   The six month time skip was handled really well
                   Jay Garrick at the end

Let - Downs: Atom Smasher could have been developed better
                      Henry's departure was not done well

    
The great screenshots of these episodes where provided by the great site Screencapped. You can look for yourself from the link below;
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment