Saturday 6 June 2015

Falling Skies Season Four Review: Best and Worst

Should have gotten round to doing this ages ago but I was too busy with Arrow, Flash and Gotham however since they are finished for now I now have the time, plus the last season starts soon. You know since I review individual episodes now I think when I review a series as a whole like this I will just list off the standouts of the season in a best and worst category because it is easier and gets to the point quicker.

Best

The prison arc: While I am disappointed with the destruction of Charleston the three episodes where Tom and a few others of the main cast are trying to breakout of prison are really cool. We got the most action in these scenes, Tom was a vigilante and the breakout was awesome.

Pope gets a love interest: Pope just can't be a detached badass all the time and the next logical step with his character was to give him someone to care about plus I do like Sara because she is way better than the other female characters in this season.

The battle for Chinatown: Both battles where really epic; the first one was all guns and explosions while the second had more of a creepy vibe with those new harnesses that moved through the mist.

Going into space: This was really cool because the attack on the moon base is way bigger than what they have done before.

The talking Espheni: I liked that we got to see them talk to each other with their minds without using harness children and that the got some scenes alone with each other. Instead of them just being the silent leaders we got to know more about their personality.

The Volm: The Volm are always going to be a highlight whenever I talk about Falling Skies!

Super - Skitters: This was a really good concept but not explored as much as I wold have liked. Weaver's daughter Jeanne was mutated into this new type of Skitter but after her we didn't get to see any others. However this gave us a really emotional episode that was one of the best of the season because Weaver is such a great character.

Worst

Lexi: They really messed up this character I can tell you that because her whole cult thing that took up most of the first half was so damn boring! Sure her powers where cool but I hated that she kept constantly changing sides; I wished Tom had let Pope and his gang kill her because she really would have deserved it. Even her cocoon phrase was a real let down because it would have been cool if she looked more Espheni - like after but no, she was just the same!

Anne: They try to toughen her up from just being the doctor for the previous season but she got so annoying throughout this season. Like when she was leading the remains of 2nd Mass at the beginning, beating that Espheni, constantly ignoring everyone and getting angry at anyone who threatens Lexi. She just comes off as a right bitch and I wish that she was killed off this season.

Lourdes: She has never been a character I really cared for and that is still the case when they made her completely insane this season. I know she went through some hard times in Season Two and Three but she just did some really crazy stuff now like attacking Ben and Kadar when they extracted Lexi's blood. Was she honestly that blinded to her powers? Still the good thing is that she was killed off which is good because I don't think she could have redeemed herself.

The re - education camp: What really was the point of this? The Espheni have the means to control children with harnesses so why is there any need to brainwash them? I know they did it so they can put spies into human camps but since humanity has just been reduced to small roaming groups it just seemed pointless in my opinion.

Killing off Tector and Kadar: Two great characters who I think deserved to survive all the way till the end, it really is a shame because I think these two have been developed really well. This also strengthens my argument I have made before that Falling Skies does not kill off any of it's main cast in situations when it should. I know they killed off Lourdes but she went crazy and I don't think was that popular anyway so it doesn't count. For example I always thought one of Tom's kids should have been killed off (Hal would have been a good choice) because I think it would have had an interesting impacting on his character and would have been really dark as well or they could have killed off Anne because I think she has outlived her importance.

Hal jealous with Ben and Maggie: I just really didn't see the point in this because we already had something similar to this in season two with Karen and Hal just came across as an ass. Plus while I like Maggie a little more than some of the other female characters in the show I think her dying would have been better overall (mentioned above about main characters not dying) but no they had to think of a convenient why to save her like with Hal in Season Three and sacrifice side characters in her place.

Destroying Charleston: I really liked Charleston in the previous season because it was cool that the humans had a proper base to fight from and was quite the change from season one and two; they had more hope than they did before. So I was disappointed when it was destroyed in five minutes in the first episode but what disappointed me more was that 2nd Mass didn't go back to a group moving from town to town like in season two. No they just stayed in Chinatown for the whole season and I just didn't like it or see the point of it.

The Skitter rebellion is wiped out off screen: Built up so much in Season Two and they still played a large role in Season Three but they just decided to get rid of it off screen, probably to make more room for Lexi's stupid cult.

Overall I did like some of new stuff in this season but they tired too many others that just did not work; it failed to capture the really dark tone of Season Two (the best season) or the scale of Season Three where the humans have a proper base and stand toe to toe with the Espheni thanks to their Volm allies. I think they wanted it to be more like Season One when it was a small group in a kind of hopeless situation but that, in my opinion, is taking a step backwards and failed to recapture the feeling anyway. It is still a great watch but it is the weakest Season of Falling Skies.

SCORE: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment