Monday 14 December 2015

Supergirl Season One: Episodes Six And Seven (Quick Reviews)

I have been so busy with work lately that I just had to make these two episodes of Supergirl quick reviews.

Episode Six "Red Faced"

Highlights

  • The Red Tornado android was so freaking awesome and looked a lot better than it did in the preview screenshots. I read lots of comments before the episodes that the design looked silly but no when you actually watched it in action it worked. The fight scenes it had with Supergirl where really cool and I though it was destroyed I hope it returns in some form in the future because it gained sentience.
  • Kara dealing with her anger issues because while you think it is actually just about her crush on James there is more to it than that since she is still trying to find her place in the world.
  • Glenn Morshower as Sam Lane; I feel like I see this guy in everything (Transfomers, Revolution etc.) and while his character is an ass for the way he treats James and Supergirl he plays it well because he is supposed to kind of be the human antagonist for Supergirl.
  • Kara and Cat bonding over drinks because I like how these two are growing closer with each new experience and again we find out more about why Cat is the way she is. Plus Cat always seems to be the one to give Kara the right information at the end of the day, more so than Alex and James.
  • Winn uncovering the information on Alex's father because now we have a lot more mystery surrounding his disappearance (I don't think he is dead) and I am curious as to what alien he and Henshaw where tracking down.
Let - Downs

  • The scenes with Maxwell and Alex are just painful to watch now because I don't want these characters together and I just think they are forcing chemistry between them.
  • Winn really needs to have a strong character arc soon because while I think he is a good character and a funny one too, he just seems to be there for the sake of it most of the time.
  • I really didn't like the workout scene with Kara and James, I mean honestly just a few punches and Kara suddenly had this massive realization. I just felt that it was lazy scene thrown into the episode to move the plot forward.
Overall an improvement over last week's episode because it had a villain for Supergirl to fight this time.

SCORE: 8/10


Episode Seven "Human For A Day"

Highlights

  • The whole earthquake disaster because I think it was just really portrayed well, everything from the damage effects and how the characters are dealing with it. Maxwell was really great because he turned the disaster to his advantage by playing the good guy and trying to turn everyone against Supergirl with some pretty convincing speeches lol.
  • I liked seeing Kara dealing with the loss of her powers for the first time and then realizing at the end that she is a hero with or without them; the robbery scene was really well done. Then of course there was James and Cat who really helped her through it each in their own way.
  • All the scenes with the DEO because I really liked the villain Jemm and his powers and I liked how they where creating this Alien atmosphere when trying to capture him.
  • Hank is Martian FREAKING Manhunter!! Fans have been asking for a live action portrayal of this character for ages and now we have got it and he looked so damn awesome. I liked the build up to his reveal with Hank's backstory because it makes sense for the character; right out of the comics he is a good guy who is the last son of Mars. Now I admit I am slightly disappointed Hank isn't Cyborg Superman however hopefully we will still get him in the future, maybe the real Hank could have been revived as Cyborg Superman?

Let - Downs

  • Again Winn just needs something better to work with than just being a Sueprgirl fanboy with a crush on Kara. Then of course there was the awkward moment he got angry with Kara for hugging James; I like his character but come on don't turn him into a jerk. 
Overall defiantly a highlight of the season which makes me look forward to seeing more of Martian Manhunter and leaves us with a cliff hanger ending.

SCORE: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment