Wednesday 2 December 2015

Game Review: Watch Dogs

Thought I'd do some more game reviews and I also thought for a practice I'll do the first game I got for the PS4;Watchdogs. I have recently been playing it again so I thought why not review it, also like with some of my reviews I'm not going in depth I' m just going to go over the good points and bad points to save time and then give my final thoughts on it.


Good

Open world/side missions: Glad that it decided the take the free roam route like GTA and The Witcher for example because there was plenty of place to explore and plenty of side missions that the first time I played it, it took me a while to finish everything.

Hacking: They really glamourize hacking in this that it makes me wish I knew how to do it IRL lol. As for gameplay it is great that you can hacking a lot of electronics to turn combat to your advantage.

Gun fights/variety of weapons: I did find the gun fights to be really enjoyable and intense, it is cool when you have one in the street and everything explodes around you. Then of course there are plenty of weapons for you to chose from.

Story: I have finished the game four times now can that is because I just really like the whole story and the characters you interact with.

Car chases: These can be really fun especially when you are running away from the police ad how much damage you can cause to other cars and yourself.

The racing multiplayer: I am not really a fan of the other multiplayer modes but the races I enjoyed because they have a mix of cars and bikes and you can hack everything around you to win.


Bad

Should have had more hacking: I know this is the first game (hopefully there will be a sequel) and I know I said I enjoyed it but still there should have been way, way more stuff to do with it. For example the mission where you have to get into DEFAULT's club and you can distract the guard; it should have been more like Hitman where there are several more ways you can get in. I just feel that hacking doesn't play an important role as it should have in missions where most of the time you can just use your gun.

Enemy A.I/Not too difficult: I have finished the game four times now (like I said above I really like the story) but the last three times I have set it on it's highest difficultly with no auto aim assist. It's not like it's very easy but it really isn't much of a challenge for me now.

No shooting out of car window: This one is so annoying because I just hated only bashing cars to stop them, I know you can hack obstacles but  the A.I can shoot out of windows so why not us?

Not much to do when you finish: After the story and side missions there really isn't any permanent things to do besides poker and repeating side missions. Sure there is a lot of side missions but they it is just a repeat of the same type of missions over and over again.

Notoriety meter didn't have much of an impact: On two of my play throughs I decided to get my meter red but I swear I barely noticed any difference. I think only a few civilians noticed me and called the police but that was the only thing that changed, even when the meter is blue they don't really do anything else. For example when you do keep doing good things maybe the civilians will protest against the police or cheer you on and maybe if you do bad things the civilians will attack you or A.I. bounty hunters will keep coming after you. 

The multiplayer should have been more expansive: Besides the racing I really didn't enjoy much of the other game modes. They should have picked classics like TDM or CTF but instead they tired these unique hacking ones that I wasn't a fan of, plus the teams could have been way bigger.

Overall Watchdogs has come really great moments and had some great potential in some of it's areas but because that potential isn't fully realized I feel this game was just a test for it's hacking style gameplay. That if this test proved popular they would (hopefully) improve the hacking and some of it's gameplay in a sequel. I would recommend this game if you are a fan of ones similar to this like GTA however only for the story mode since their is a lack of content in comparison to other open world games, for example the multiplayer in this does not even compare to GTA's.

No comments:

Post a Comment