Wednesday 2 December 2015

Supergirl Season One: How Does She Do It?


Supergirl begins to suspect a Maxwell Lord employee behind a series of bombings in an effort to expose her identity meanwhile as Kara she must babysit Cat's son Carter (Levi Miller).

See this was the episode I wanted for Maxwell Lord because is involvement in the Reactron storyline wasn't as impactful as I wanted it to be. Besides Kara's aunt I think Lord as proven himself to be a true threat to Supergirl than any other villain in his own way while he is still human. I mean he completely outsmarted both Supergirl and the DEO with his elaborate plans to analyse Supergirl's abilities with nothing being connected to him. I also really liked the confrontation between him and Supergirl at the end because it really showed how sinister Lord can be and how un - intimidated he was with Supergirl. All in all this was a great way to establish Lord as a real villain now in the series and I also liked that we got some backstory on his character but I could have done without the romantic tension they where kind of trying to make between Lord and Alex but hopefully that was just a one time thing. Now another subplot that I really enjoyed seeing was the one between James and Lucy mostly because their past was a lot more fleshed out, heck I kind of wished we could have had some Flashbacks to when they where dating in the past but James had to run off to help Superman. Sure we got a typical love triangle between James, Lucy and Kara here and yes I think we all knew Lucy and James where going to get back together but it is turning into a decent romantic subplot that I don't mind seeing. I really hope that Lucy becomes I relevant character to the show however than just as a disposable girlfriend for James in the end, maybe an old Metropolis villain could come after her in a future episode?

As for everything else the subplot with Kara babysitting Carter wasn't as bad as I thought; we got some light hearted moments, Carter's fanboy for Supergirl was funny to see and we got another reference to Winn being Toyman. However the theme of this episode where Kara is juggling too much has already been done before, Cat even gave Kara another speech about it once again; I just think that Cat should have moved on from this and should have been tackling another problem. Speaking of Cat it was a shame she wasn't in it that much but it was cool that she was accepting a reward that she won over Lois Lane, lol. Finally we got to see a little more of Henshaw's glowing red eyes and him taking apart a bomb with his bare hands which hopefully means we get to see exactly what he is soon. I am still hoping for Cyborg Superman but I have heard some rumours saying that he could be Martian Manhunter. Now I liked Martian Manhunter but I hope this isn't the case because first off his name is HANK HENSHAW which is the name of Cyborg Superman and it would just be cool to have another villain from the comics that more to do with Superman make an appearance like Reactron. Thought I'd say that while I did enjoy watching this episode and the plots with Lord, James and Lucy where good I feel that this episode is just average overall because nothing (especially the moments with Kara/Supegirl) really stood out too much compared to the previous episodes.

Overall an enjoyable episode that really did a good job of trying something different than using the Phantom Zone inmates once again and while the plots where good nothing really stood out too much.

SCORE: 6/10

Highlights: A really good Maxwell Lord episode
                   The relationship between James and Lucy was handled better

Let - Downs: Kara/Supergirl tackling the same personal problems yet again
                      I didn't feel like there was anything too special about this episode in all  

2 comments: