Thursday 20 August 2015

Falling Skies Season Five: Stalag 14th Virginia

While Tom and his family await their execution Weaver tries to get the soldiers of 14th Virginia to turn sides and finds a shocking secret about Marshall.

I got to say that this two part arc has been really good, it may be late in the season to still be fighting humans in my opinion but still very enjoyable. First off Tom was great in this episode and proved why he is a leader by turning quite a few of the soldiers to his side, such as the guard and when Weaver showed his speech to the others. Speaking of Weaver he is another reason I really liked this arc because it has mainly been focused on him and how he has been this unstoppable force like chocking the Overload and taking out the Marshall Clone. Plus he also had a sad moment at the end, realizing that his old flame has been dead for a while and watching Marshall Clone die. I did like the twist that it was a clone; while the reveal that Marshall was working with an Overlord was obvious from the start the fact she was a clone was a surprise and not a far fetched one because the Overlords have been working with Human DNA for ages now. Despite liking this arc I am really glad the two forces are now marching on DC because the final battle is what I really want to see and it looks like we might see something new with the reveal of a "Higher Being" the Overlords are bowing down to.

As for everything else while Weaver was a badass for taking out the Overlord that did seem a bit too easy and I kind of wanted it to have a larger role. Then there is the scene at the end with Pope watching over a death match and finding out that Tom is still alive and while I am glad to see Pope again I am a bit disappointed. I mean really, this is what Pope has become now for the final season of Falling Skies? I don't know about anyone else but I really would have preferred seeing him staying with the 2nd Mass and marching to DC too. Again the fault in this lies with Tom for allowing Sara to die but what annoys me a lot is that Tom now seems to be back to his old self, the one that wouldn't have made Pope an enemy. We could probably expect some big battle between Pope's group and the 2nd Mass that should be fun to watch but I am still hoping Pope and Tom may ally once again. This is because I am sure a main character might die in the finale but out of all of them it really should not be Pope because he is the best character and has developed the most. Yet the writers are turning him into the villain who will most likely die, it is like they have thrown everything he has been through right out the window.

Overall a great conclusion to this arc and makes me look forward to the events of the last two episodes.

SCORE: 8/10

Highlights: Tom proving why he is a leader
                   Weaver was great once again
                   The reveal of Marshall being a clone

Let - Downs: The Overlord was killed off too soon
                       Pope still after Tom     

No comments:

Post a Comment