Wednesday 26 August 2015

Falling Skies Season Five: Reunion

Tom acquires a powerful new weapon for the final fight however an unexpected visitor turns up and Pope launches his attack on the 2nd Mass.

Can't believe that next week will be the finale of the entire Falling Skies series but no time for that now since I have to review this episode. First off the main plot point was the return of Lexi and I was both glad and disappointed; glad because I have always liked the character I just found the storyline in Season Four in Chinatown they gave her to be boring, disappointed because it is a bit of a repeat of the Marhsall Clone episode and it was obvious from the start she was a clone. However I did like the conflict she created by toying with the emotions of the Mason family like Anne and Tom but Matt was really good in it. Him dealing with the decision of bringing her back and justifying it to Hal made for some great scenes; I don't know about anyone else but I just get annoyed with Hal lately and want to punch him right in his smug damn face. All in all her return was handled really well, giving doubts to the 2nd Mass so close to the endgame and wanting you to wish it really was the real Lexi. The next big plot point was with the Dorina and while I am glad to know more about them and see them properly I find their magic bullet to be dues ex machina. I would have preferred the humans to think of their own plan to win rather than rely on an alien weapon that suddenly appeared but I did at least like the testing scenes with Marty and Anne.

As for everything else I did kind of like Pope's attack (good gunfight) on the 2nd Mass but it just felt so lacklustre in the end; it was over so quickly that I'm sure the 2nd Mass just treated it as a five minute inconvenience. Now this could either be because Pope actually survived the explosion and the writers have plans for him next week or they just didn't know what to do with him in the end. I hope it is the first one because this is POPE he just can't go out like this but I hope if he does come back it is for redemption. I will say again I would much prefer him surviving until the end fighting with the 2nd Mass than dying as a villain. Finally there is Ben's determination to get more intel on the Espheni which gives his character something better to do than cry over Maggie, it was like he was back to his old self where he was so important to the plot. The episode ended with an awesome shot of the flying Skitters attacking which should mean the finale will open up with a cool battle.

Overall a really good episode just before the finale, I am not going to put Pope's death in the Let - Downs because I'll save it for the finale if it is confirmed. Still finding out where the Queen is and Tom talking to the other Militia does get me excited for the final battle.

SCORE: 7/10

Highlights: The conflict Lexi Clone created with the Masons
                   Matt and Ben where real standouts
                   The action scene between Pope's gang and the 2nd Mass

Let - Downs: The magic bullet just arriving now to solve everything
                      Another clone so soon after the last one.
                      That was it for Pope's big attack?

No comments:

Post a Comment