Tuesday 17 March 2015

Gotham Season One: Rogues Gallery/What the Little Bird Told Him

"You can assign me to this nuthouse but you can't break my spirit!"
Rogues Gallery: Gordon's reassignment to Arkham Asylum gets off to a bad start when an imate is murdered so he decides to investigate it. Meanwhile Selina and Ivy seek refuge in Gordon's apartment and Cobblepot, Now officially The Penguin, tries to gains more power.

What the Little Bird Told Him: Gordon tries to get his old job back by attempting the recapture Jack Gruber AKA The Electrocutioner (Christopher Heyerdahl) meanwhile Fish makes for move against Falcone but it may not be as easy as she thought it would be.

Finally Gotham is back and it felt like it took ages! Thought I'd review these two episodes together since they where aired together as a feature length episode in the UK and they are a two parter anyway. However I am quite busy this week so I will only be able to quickly do this review in bullet points listing the good and bad moments.

You should have accepted his offer Butch
Good

Arkham Asylum: In the comics the Asylum is like a character itself and they did a really good job of  adapting it in live action. I liked the whole hopeless atmosphere they gave it and the run down and gritty look from the undermanned staff to the fact it still looks barely built. Gordon was also great as a guard there and that he never gave up and I liked the character Dr Leslie (Morena Baccarin) who I think will be a way better love interest than Barbara who they have completely ruined.

The Electrocutioner: I don't know too much about this villain besides from the Arkham Origins games but I liked him in this because it was a really creepy portrayal and it was an interesting take that there are two of them in this episode. Glad he is still alive for another day and I liked the electricity effects and it was something different for Gordon and Bullock to face.

Some good humour: Penguin and Engma continue to provide some nice comedic moments, I like that they can do that but are not classed as just comic relief characters. We also got it from Selina and Ivy when they where breaking into Gordon's apartment and I really like those two young actresses so it was great they had some scenes in these two episodes.

Strong Butch subplot: It surprised me that Fish's right hand man had a decent story and dilemma to deal with, I knew he wasn't just a background character but I didn't know he would get a really good subplot.

Strong Falcone subplot: Another great subplot was with the Don himself and it was interesting seeing him struggling with the idea on whether or not his time in Gotham has really passed, but thanks to Zsaz and Penguin he got over that. It was quite brutal how he strangled Liza to death and I loved the look of Fish's face when she realized she lost.

Hope they bring him back in future episodes
Bad

Fish: I am always going to hate Fish and nothing is going to change that, if a lot of screen time is given to her in the episode than that just automatically puts her in my let downs and drag the score down. This two parter, especially the second episode, made me realize just how stupid her plan actually was with Liza and she never would have been a good Don anyway. I mean Falcone was right; papers don't make a Don and she really thought she would have been that simple? Unfortunately I doubt she will be killed off anytime soon so will are going to suffer her a little bit longer. Just want to mention that the actress of Fish has reported saying that she won't return for Season Two. First off I'm glad the show is renewed for season two but even more glad Fish isn't returning because she was just an awful character who was the one of the two bad things in a great show. I really hope she gets killed off (she should in the finale) but even if she doesn't at least we get a season free of this annoying cow.

Barbara: The second half of the two things that is bad with the show; a completely weak and worthless character who they have ruined. I hate every scene she is in and even though it looks like it's over I have hated this forced lesbian past/relationship they gave her since the beginning (and now they had to introduce drinking and drugs to it). What bothers me the most however is that she seems to take the morale damn high ground against Gordon all the time, like she hasn't done anything wrong and that it's all his fault.

The capture of The Electrocutioner: The character was really cool, as well as his methods and breaking into the GCPD but really, he was stopped by a cup of water that was barely half full?

You don't f**k with Falcone!
Overall this was a great two parter which sees Gordon now back on the force and ends that stupid Liza plan that wasn't going anywhere.

SCORE: 8/10

Highlights: The Electrocutiner
                   Arkham Asylum/Gordon's time there/Dr Leslie
                   Strong Butch/Falcone subplots

Let - Downs: Fish
                      Barbara
                      A cup of water saves the day


The great screenshots of the episodes where provided by the great site Screencapped. You can look for yourself from the link below;
 
 


http://screencapped.net/          

No comments:

Post a Comment