Friday 6 March 2015

Arrow Season Three: Canaries

Damn she got her ass kicked
Oliver is now back however he is thrown with the changes to Team Arrow is his absence which creates conflict in the group. He even tells Laurel to stop being Black Canary however she ignores him when Vertigo returns but unfortunately gets affected by his drug. Meanwhile Chase surprises Thea and in Flashbacks Oliver and Maseo try to escape from A.R.G.U.S

Things certainly aren't the same for Oliver in his return to Starling with the main change being Laurel is determined to carry on the mantle of Black Canary. This was mainly a Laurel focused episode and a really good one at that with the involvement of Vertigo and how she confronted Sara who was an awesome character so I'm glad they brought her back in some form. I liked the fights she had with Sara and I think her taunting of Laurel was stuff the audience where already thinking off; that she was just a copy of Sara. I liked that Laurel has now faced her demons and that with the help of Felicity she has realized that she has to be her own version of Black Canary and not a copy of Sara. Quentin was also a huge factor for Laurel this episode and I thought it was about time he learned the truth and it was a damn powerful scene when he broke down with Laurel, makes me wonder what he will do now. Vertigo was also a part of Laurel's development and even though I really like this one, because he does seem a lot darker than Count Vertigo, I wished he had more scenes since he was only a means to an end for Laurel.

"Don't judge me harshly by the beating, drugs, killings and torture. I'm actually a nice guy"
As for the rest of the episode I liked that Thea handled the confession of Oliver well and that she didn't turn into a whiny brat (like she would in season 1 and 2) but that only lasted for a few minutes until she turned on Malcolm. I get why she is a bit angry but after everything she has been through with him I hated how quickly she turned against him, I just hated her damn attitude in this episode. Another thing I didn't like in her subplot was the lacklustre way the Chase character ended; he put up a decent fight but after he has kind of been hyped up for a while he is just out of it now, it feels like they have wasted a lot of time with his character. As for Team Arrow I liked the way they stood up to Oliver and arguing that they can do things on their own now because it isn't just about Oliver anymore. Roy I think has really grown as a vigilante because he was the one leading the arguments against Oliver and makes me think how he could get episodes just dedicated to him sometime. Finally the Flashbacks are a let down again (like all the Hong Kong ones mostly have been) and that is mainly because of Waller. I really like her character in the comics (old and new 52 Suicide Squad) but she just really damn bugs me in this, everything from her actress, appearance and personality and I think they haven't done her comic book version justice. They only thing good about the Flashbacks was that I like the friendship between Oliver and Maseo and them being in Starling City now should be interesting.

Do you sleep with all your victims Chase?
Overall I would have liked this episode better if it completely focused on Laurel and Vertigo instead of wasting are time with a whiny Thea. I just hope her character improves after some training on the island because so far she hasn't done anything and keeps losing in fights anyway.

SCORE: 7/10

Highlights: Laurel vs. Vertigo and her hallucinations
                   Team Arrow standing up to Oliver
                   Quentin and Thea's reactions to the confessions

Let - Downs: Thea
                      Chase was a wasted character
                      Flashbacks and Waller

EXTRA

Now I have kept up with the news of Arrow and I have heard that Thea will soon get her own costume (saw a picture of her getting fitted for a mask) and there are rumours that to make room for her a member of Team Arrow has to die and Arsenal might be the one. I hope this really doesn't happen because Arsenal is one of my favourite comic characters and I really like Roy on the show. If they have to get rid of him though I hope it is only temporary and as I have said before he loses his arm and maybe everyone will think he is dead but instead he is kidnapped, gets his robotic arm from either A.R.G.U.S or H.I.V.E and is forced to be an agent of H.I.V.E or a member of the Suicide Squad. Let me know what you think of that.

The great screenshots of the episodes where provided by the great site Screencapped. You can look for yourself from the link below;
 
 


http://screencapped.net/        

No comments:

Post a Comment