Saturday 13 December 2014

Suicide Squad Film - My Thoughts

I know this is probably a little late in coming but I thought I'd just go over the cast of the Suicide Squad film and give my idea of a possible story. However before I start I just want to say I have seen the line up of announced DC films such as Justice League, Aquaman, a new Green Lantern etc. and I really think that it is about bloody time! DC is doing great with their Arrow and Flash TV series and they have Christopher Nolan's stand - alone Batman films but I wanted to see some films from them that are connected to each other like Marvel because they have a lot of great characters and storylines that I want to see on the big screen. This might contain MINOR SPOILERS but it is all going to be guess work and referencing the comics.

Also thought I'd mention that I am a big fan of the Suicide Squad; I have read some of their old comics and I have all of their recent New 52 ones.


CAST - CONFIRMED

Will Smith as Deadshot: We of course had to have Deadshot in the squad straight away because he is one of the major characters and in the New 52 is the unofficial leader of the squad. Deadshot is just the complete badass of the group; an expert sniper and gunfighter who cares only for himself and the mission. Will Smith was a good choice to play him because I think he is just a great actor with two of his best roles (in my opinion) being Independence Day and I Am Legend, and those who have watched I Am Legend know that he can play a really serious role when he has to. So no complaints here I think Will Smith will do good job.

Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn: Like Deadshot, Harley is one of the most famous members of the Suicide Squad, especially in the New 52 storylines. Harley is one of the few female characters I have seen in the squad and brings sexy and deadly all in to one package. She could also sometimes be a competent member but is usually torn for her loyalty to the Joker. Margot Robbie is also a good choice because well has everyone seen her in The Wolf of Wall Street? if not then shame on you and if yes then enough said here.

Jared Leto as The Joker: One of the most evil characters in the comic book world and I am glad he is being introduced so early in the new DC films. The Joker has never been a member of the squad but I think he will still play a major role (see below on my thoughts of possible storyline), especially with Harley. Now I know Heath Ledger gave a legendary performance as The Joker but I really hope in these new films he will be closer to his comic book counterpart; Ledger did of course but because of the realistic tone of Christopher Nolan's films he didn't have any of his gag weapons for example. I admit I barely know Jared Leto (he had a small role in Fight Club) but I have heard great things about him and everyone says he will be a great Joker.

Tom Hardy as Rick Flag: A good choice to have hear because Rick Flag was the first leader of the squad when they are out in the field. Unlike the villains who comprise most of the squad's members Rick Flag is usually a stand up solider with the original leading the group in WWII. It is great seeing Tom Hardy in another DC film because he was just perfect as Bane and actually in about any role he plays he is great.

Jai Courtney as Captain Boomerang: One of my favourite members of the Suicide Squad and probably one of the most untrustworthy. Like Deadshot he cares only about himself and from what I have seen in the New 52 really hates the sniper. I hope they do show off a lot of his boomerang skills because they look really cool in the comics and in his recent role in the Arrow TV series. I haven't seen Courtney in much except I, Frankenstein and A Good Day to Die Hard, and even though the films themselves where poor I think he was good in them.

Cara Delevingine as Enchantress: Don't know much about Enchantress or even the actress who plays her, what I do know is that Enchantress in a sorceress. This is good because it shows that these new films are sticking closer to their comic book roots.


MEMBERS I WANT TO SEE

Amanda Waller: Not an actual member of the squad but the person who runs it so we defiantly got to have her.

King Shark: The tank of the group and if it does stay closer to the comics then having a giant walking shark is possible.

Savant: I mostly know him from the New 52 and like Deadshot he is an expert gunfighter and rouge vigilante. 

Count Vertigo: A favourite Arrow villain of mine and I would like to see an incarnation of him where he has his powers.

Poison Ivy: Since the Batman vs. Superman film is coming out before this it would be great to see some more Batman villains.

The Unknown Solider: Quite a dark character here and I think he would just look really cool in live action.

Multiplex: For a squad with such few members sometimes taking on impossible odds I think Multiplex would be a useful addition to the team.


STORYLINE IDEA

Now since The Joker is confirmed but I really don't think he is a member but the possible main villain of the film and the Suicide squad has to stop him, maybe prevent a terrorist attack on Gotham. Since Harley is most likely going to be a main focus of the film this is where her dividing loyalties come into play. Now since The Joker is more of a leader/tormenter than a fighter I hope he teams up with another villain who poses a more psychical challenge for the squad such as Killer Croc, Clayface, Bane etc. Also if this film is set in Gotham and Batman isn't in it then I really hope we see Nightwing, not as a member of the squad but as someone who also wants to stop The Joker. Nightwing is one of my favourite Batman characters and I want to see him in live action. Also I hope they plot doesn't waste too much time with origin stories for it's characters because sometimes they are not needed. Take Tim Burton's Batman; Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne was already Batman for a while in the film and we only just got a few flashbacks into his past, that was a great way to do it.


Overall this is what I have so far on the film for characters and possible story. I am liking what I am hearing about the film so far however I do hope they don't tone down the violence too much because I do find that DC can be a lot more darker than Marvel. Maybe I might talk about a few of the other DC films coming or the Marvel ones.  

No comments:

Post a Comment