Tuesday 30 December 2014

My Top Five Favourite Video Games of all Time

Thought I'd take a break with my Arrow reviews to do something different and write another top five. As I mentioned in my last Arrow review I am trying to catch up to season three but I will try harder now to fit in some film or game reviews etc. Thought I'd add that there will be only one game per franchise or else my list will be full of Final Fantasy games.

5. Devil May Cry 3 - Still holds up today as the best hack and slash game in my opinion and the best in the Devil May Cry series. The gameplay was just so awesome in this from being able to change your class to the combos you can pull off and not to mention the enemies where quite difficult and can change battle tactics to fight you. The story was also great because we got a cocky, young Dante who was just so funny and Vergil is one of my favourite game villains of all time.

4. Kingdom Hearts 2 - This game improved absolutely everything great about the first and included so much more content that it took me ages to finish everything when I first played it. The graphics where so amazing for the time (still look better than a lot of stuff now) and the environments where so big that there was plenty of room for fighting and massive bosses. I liked how Sora can change outfits in battle and wield two keyblades and there was so many different types of enemies. Plus the game felt that it took so long to finish as well because you get revisit every world but I didn't find that repetitive because there was different things to do each time and you got to fight the Nobodies instead of the Heartless. They story in this was so gripping as well since we got to go to all those Disney worlds which also included Final Fantasy characters and Organization XIII was just awesome! 

3. Resident Evil (Remake) - This game stands as the most perfect remake that ever existed in all forms of media and I'm including films and TV as well as well as the best survival horror game. They didn't just improve the graphics and gave us better voice actors instead they included a lot of extra content that was so welcomed; we got the Crimson Heads, Lisa Trevor, new puzzles etc. It also is one of the scariest games I have ever played as well (when I was younger) because of the music, atmosphere and shadows. I know some people complain about the controls and fixed camera angles of the old Resident Evils like this one but in my opinion they add a lot to the horror element that recent Resident Evils like 4, 5 and 6 lack.

2. Fahrenheit Indigo Prophecy - I loved this game after the first few minutes I played it because it was so different from any game I have played before and I play a lot of games. This game is mainly a story focused game but it is just so damn good that I could not put my controller down, I just had to keep playing. Its starts off as a murder mystery but it turns into something much more and I know some reviewers have complained about that but I loved all the twists and turns. It was also one of the first games where your decisions in conversations and gameplay affect the rest of the game; looking back I know they where not that big and it all leads to almost the same conclusion but it was still something new to me at the time and I still enjoyed it. Besides the gripping story we also have some really interesting characters that you invest a lot of yourself into and they all have some of the best voice acting I have heard. Lastly Lucas Kane is one of my favourite game protagonists of all time and this game is way better than David Cage's more recent ones like Heavy Rain.

1. Final Fantasy VII - This probably was an obvious one because I may have mentioned it before but nevertheless FFVII remains, and will always remain, my favourite game of all time and one of the best RPGs. I could talk for hours about the amazing combat system where you use Materia to grant yourself magic, the hundreds of enemies you face, the side quests that seem to take forever to finish or the story and characters that had me so addicted to this game that I would play it for hours and hours and hours at a time but I want to keep these explanations short. However what eclipses all of that is the sense of freedom and adventure you get when you play this game. This is helped by one of my most favourite moments in gaming; leaving Midgar for the first time. Who can deny that was an awesome moment; stepping out of the city, hearing the world map music for the first time, seeing the grasslands before me waiting to be explored - it was just something words can't express for me but I did know at that moment it was my favourite game. Interesting note this was also the very first game I bought for myself; got it when I was seven or eight and I haven't stopped playing it since, I admit I probably don't play it as much now because of all the next gen stuff but I always find the time to play it when I can.

Honourable Mentions: All other Final Fantasy games, Metal Gear Solid series, Silent Hill series, Tekken series, Mortal Kombat series, All other Devil May Cry and Resident Evil games, Dead or Alive series, Destiny, The Last of Us, Call of Duty series, Splinter Cell series, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and I that's all I can think of right now but I'm sure I have missed many.

There you have it my top five games, maybe I'll make some more top five or tens soon :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment