Monday 4 August 2014

TV Series Review: Falling Skies Season Four (Episodes 1 - 3, my thoughts so far) SPOILERS!

Hey everyone I know I have yet to review season three of Falling Skies, however I have been watching the season four and in the UK they have made it to episode three. There are several story arcs and I just wanted to quickly express my views on them, what I want to see in the future and what I haven't liked about it so far. I know that they are on episode six in America (I think) but I only wait to watch a series when it premieres in the UK so I don't know what happens farther than episode three.

Tom Mason story arc: By far the best subplot of the entire season four and this is helped by the fact that he also has the best characters with him; Pope, Weaver, Hal and a new character Dingaan Botha (Treva Etienne). What I really liked about this arc was Tom acting as a vigilante in the detainment camp while secretly planning a massive break out and this also had the most action, especially in episode three when they successfully implement it. It was great to see Pope working together with everyone else and by the look of it at the end of the episode he and Tom have settled their differences. SCORE: 5/5

Anne Glass story arc: A good watch but its just fairly straight forward were it is Anne leading the remains of the Second Mass to find her daughter. It doesn't have has much screen time as the others and it looks like its over now at the end of episode three. Not much to say about it but the nightmare Anne had was really good and I like those she is with but she herself was a tad annoying. SCORE: 3/5

Matt Mason story arc: This one hasn't been that bad but it is not all that interesting either. As I have said in my review of season 2 I don't like that so much screen time is being given to Matt because I find him the least likable of all the Mason children. While the Nazi - like brainwashing camp is original it has been done to death in other shows and films and I find it unnecessary since the Espheni have harnesses to control children. SCORE: 2.5/5

Lexi story arc: By far the weakest of the storylines this season and that is because I absolutely hated this whole cult thing the place has going on. I find the character of Lexi herself to be annoying as well has Lourdes and Maggie (but they where always annoying) and it just seems so out of place with everything that has happened on Falling Skies so far. I do want to find out more about Lexi being a hybrid and even though I really like the characters of Ben and Roger Kadar, I just want this one to be over. SCORE: 1/5

There you have it a quick run down on my thoughts of the current story lines of Falling Skies, it has some great ideas but it really needs to drop some of the more boring elements.

Also two things I didn't like was that Charleston base that play a massive role in seasons two and three, an impressive stronghold of humanity that I really liked, is completely lost in the first five minutes and the same goes for the rebel Skitters who are turned in to flying drones.

Now here is a list of some other parts I think where good and I want to see in future episodes:

  • More Volm: Cochise is one of my fav characters and we need to see more of him and his allies soon.
  • Kill off Lourdes: When I review season three I will talk about a character who should have been killed off but for season four Lourdes has to die. It is understandable in season three that they didn't kill her because she was being controlled but there is no excuse for her acting like the crazy cult fanatic she has been now and the way she has been treating other characters like Ben, Kadar and Maggie. I do not think she could make it up to them especially after episode two when she screamed and freaked out about taking Lexi's blood.
  • End the Lexi cult story line: As I said above it is the most boring part of Falling Skies, we could have explored more about her powers and what she is without the need for a crazy cult.
  • More action: Now that Tom and the group are free and Anne's and Lexi's group have met up we need some major offensives against the Espheni.
  • Let see some super soldiers: The Espheni Tom talked to mentions about created an army more powerful than the Skitters, so lets see and hear more about this!
So that is it for now then and while I am enjoying the new season of one of my favourite shows right now there is a lot in it I want changed or added.

No comments:

Post a Comment